Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I need some professional help!

I think I now understand insanity.  It's all due to Marguerite.  She's a wonderful lady, don't get me wrong.  Her patterns are beautiful and her work is a masterpiece... but...

WHY didn't she mention the color combinations she used in her patterns?  I mean seriously!!!  I have racked my weaving brain over this one pattern and can't seem to figure out half of it!  There is definitely something going on with color in order to get a weave that looks like this!

So I am turning it over to the professionals.  Please... I beg you... help me figure this out before I truly go insane for much longer!  I am so ashamed that I can't seem to figure it out.  It's probably so simple and right there in front of my eyes, but I can't... I can't do it!  I even tried to have my non-weaving husband help... we are lost.

Here is the challenge piece:


Page 40 in A Handweaver's Pattern Book by Marguerite Davison



This is what I've figured out so far:


I've even accounted for the tie-up being different... and I think I have the colors for the bottom all set-up just right.  I just need some help with the 3 sideways V's at the top right for the treadling pattern... It needs to make some sort of neat looking horizontal design and diamond shapes where the horizontal meets the vertical patterns.

Thank you in advance for helping me with my weaving challenge!!!!  And later I will work on forgiving Marguerite...


********************************************************************************
UPDATE FROM WEAVER HELGA:
I know I began with this combination when I first sat down with the draft, but it didn't look right at the time.  This is what Helga sent me, and there are parts of it that look very right, like the diamonds where it all comes together.  Perhaps it's just hard to see all the details in Marguerite's picture.  Now it seems so simple!!  I guess sometimes I just over-think things!  Thanks for your help, Helga & also Barbara!  And everyone else who was crunching on this draft!


********************************************************************************
And now for the good news: I finished the black and red hound's tooth scarf!  It will be put into the mail today!





70 inches of scarf plus 7 inches of fringe....on each end...

She said she wanted a loooooooooong scarf!!!

It turned out so beautiful, soft, and met the specifications for length!  It's so flowing and soft... I'm almost a little jealous!  I'll have to make one for myself before winter is over!  Add that to my "to-do" list...