Saturday, April 21, 2012

50 miles

I think I really AM crazy!  I do strange things sometimes and even though I know they're strange, I still want to do them!

Take yesterday for example.  I was going on my usual bike ride around the neighborhood.  But the weather was so nice.  And there wasn't any wind!  It was so perfect!  So as I was biking, I got this random idea to bike a local trail that used to be a railroad.  It leads to the next city over.  I didn't have my camera with me this time, but here is a file photo of one of my favorite points on this trail:



 Here is an aerial view of the lake area.  The trail would be in the back somewhere!



Then, as I was on the trail, I thought about how much fun it would be to go past our first apartment... so I did.  We lived here in this one bedroom (400 sq ft) apartment back in 2005.  There's no way we would fit in there now!!!



 
THEN... I thought about the many times I biked up to this local place called Thumb Butte and wham!  The idea stuck and I just couldn't change my mind!!  2 hours after I started, I made it to Thumb Butte and my odometer was at 25 miles!  Wow, how did THAT happen?! 





I was having a great time and not feeling half bad until mile number 40 on the way home and I knew I had 10 miles remaining.  Then, all of a sudden my body was complaining.  It's probably because I didn't have any food and really needed something sugary!  I also had no money to buy anything... I really came unprepared.  It was sheer will-power that brought me back home.

But you know what?  I can now check this goal off my list of things I wanted to do this year.  It was so random, and that is what made it so wonderful!  I have had it on my list for about a year and just kept thinking about the logistics so much that the whole idea seemed impossible.  But I did it!  I really, really did it!!!  I biked 50 miles in 4 hours!!!  With energy leftover to weave!!!! 

And I think I'm going out for a regular 10-12 miles on my bike, so that makes about 60 in 24 hours.  That is definitely the furthest I've been in 24 hours!!  And 50 is the furthest I've been at one time.  My last record was only 30.